A community electric distribution utility.
The first incorporated
electric utility in Nova Scotia.
Riverport Electric Light Commission (RELC) was established in 1920 by a special statute of the Nova Scotia Legislature and is one of the oldest independent utilities in Canada. View: Riverport Electric Light Act for Polling District No. 2, in the County of Lunenburg, 1920.
RELC is a community-owned electric distribution utility.
The communities serviced by RELC include Middle LaHave, East LaHave, North Side, Rose Bay, Lower Rose Bay, Kingsburg, Upper Kingsburg, Riverport, and Lower LaHave.
RELC is committed to energy sustainability. As a partner in the Alternative Resource Energy Authority, 40% of our energy is wind generated. Read more.
For the convenience of our customers, RELC has implemented a number of alternatives for paying electric bills. Read more.
The Riverport Electric Light Commission is proud to participate in the Alternative Resource Energy Authority (AREA), a municipal partnership that runs the Ellershouse Windfarm, a source of renewable energy that supplies power to the AREA partners and RELC, the Towns of Antigonish, Berwick, and Mahone Bay. RELC’s participation in AREA means cleaner energy for Riverport residents and businesses. Read more.